The Power Forums
Hello and welcome to The Power Forums! Please take this time to register or log in! See you soon!

Oblivion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oblivion?

Post  EvanErgo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 am

Has anyone here played it? What did you think about it? I was think about trading in (I hate trading games) New Vegas for it. I still haven't called up GameStop to see if they have a used copy so I was just going to ask what people thought of it.

EDIT) Just called gamestop and they said they have a new copy for 19.99. =/ no GOTY edition tho. Please share helpful tips for this game if you can Very Happy

Last edited by EvanErgo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
EvanErgo
Forum Recruiter
Forum Recruiter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oblivion?

Post  SeanSim on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:12 am

I didn't actually play much of Oblivion, so I can't say much about it. I got as far as the first Oblivion Gate.

I think I actually like Morrowind better, though. Oblivion does have a lot of improvements like better graphics, great music (Jeremy Soule is da bomb), and better skill integration (in Morrowind, if you are not good with Short Swords, then you will just miss with them all the time, while in Oblivion, anyone can use swords but higher skills grant bonuses).

I can't explain it, but Morrowind just had something to it that made it feel more immersive to me. Most of the quests in Oblivion were simply follow-the-waypoint. In Morrowind you actually had to figure out where the city is, who you are supposed to talk to, and what you're supposed to take.
SeanSim
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvanErgo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:19 am

I see I see. I think my friend had Morrowind but I never played it or saw him play it.

So the quests are a bit simpler in Oblivion? Nnnn, I don't know how much that would bug me but I can see it taking a bit of the immersion out of the game. I just won't follow the compass Very Happy
EvanErgo
Forum Recruiter
Forum Recruiter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:01 am

Did you just say trade in New Vegas.... Blasphemy!!!!
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvanErgo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 am

ginga-ninja wrote:Did you just say trade in New Vegas.... Blasphemy!!!!
No. I went there with 23$ and they had a regular copy for 15 and (even tho they didn't say they did) the GOTY edition for 40$.

I bought the regular one tho. I'd much rather expand my games rather then trade them in for 10$.
EvanErgo
Forum Recruiter
Forum Recruiter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L4MB on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 am

I spent a ton of time on Oblivion without getting far in the main story. It was a blast just to explore and dungeon crawl and find look and decorate your houses.
Though I did finish the thieves guild and most of the mages guild quests. There are a few bugs in the mages guild quest line, so if you are tasked with getting a ring out of a well (I think in Cheydenhall), go do it right away, as the body you have to retrieve it from disappears after 3 in game days.
Also in the thieves guild quests, if you have to go steal a ring from a duchess and for some reason 2 show up in the jewelry box, only take one. If you take both, you can't finish the quest.
Also, the Dark Brotherhood quests are some of the best in the game and easily my favourite subplot storyline. I'll leave it to you to figure out how to join Razz
In terms of the Oblivion Gates, I had decent success with just speedrunning most of them without killing everything that crossed my path (after a certain level). It usually works out, but whatever you are into. I just got tired of closing them after a while, though the enchanting stone you get from them can be pretty useful.
Since I saw you playing it already today, I hope you built your character keeping race bonuses in mind. Race bonuses can have a huge impact on your leveling and skills, and if you make a cross-breed, it can be kind of tricky for the first while.
Also, Armourer is one of the most useful skills after a while. You spend a ton of money keeping your equipment in top shape, so if you start early, you can have good armourer skill and fix your own magical items instead of paying some fool to do it for you.
L4MB
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSim on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 am

No, the quests aren't really simpler at all.

In Morrowind, you will get quests, but they don't give you pinpoint locations on where to go. So, say someone gives you a quest to go find a guy in Pelgiad and convince him to join a guild. Well, it is then your job to find Pelgiad if you don't know where it is on the map. And then you have to find him within that city. Quest-givers will usually give directions to where you need to go, and it is your job to follow them.

I had a lot of fun with that, as it made the game feel just a little bit more real. Like I was actually an adventurer or something. In Oblivion, if they give you a quest to go find the cave, there will usually be a waypoint on your map pointing you to the cave. The quest isn't that less deep, but it points you to where you need to go. At that point it feels too much like a video game (when coming from Morrowind first). I'm no longer actually doing quests, I'm just following waypoints around the game world.

A lot of the game mechanics were significantly improved in Oblivion (well, except Axes are grouped as a Blunt weapon =/). It is a great game because Morrownd does feel dated. It's just a couple of small things like above that keep me playing Morrowind.
SeanSim
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvanErgo on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm

FUUUUUU! Just when I thought "hey, this game is getting fun." the disk decides it wont be read anymore.

I am sad now.
EvanErgo
Forum Recruiter
Forum Recruiter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodom on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 am

I havnt played this game in so long, put in around 200+ hours into it. Can't wait till TES: V comes out in like 2 years Crying or Very sad
Bodom
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L4MB on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Bodom wrote:I havnt played this game in so long, put in around 200+ hours into it. Can't wait till TES: V comes out in like 2 years Crying or Very sad
Have they even confirmed it yet?
L4MB
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodom on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah, one of the devs confirmed it in euromagazine, and on one of there twitter accounts they said it'll be in the feb edition of game informer.
Bodom
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L4MB on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:08 am

Bodom wrote:Yeah, one of the devs confirmed it in euromagazine, and on one of there twitter accounts they said it'll be in the feb edition of game informer.
Oh, sweet. Is it MMO? Hope not.
L4MB
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodom on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 am

nah, I dont think they'll ever turn any fallout or TES games into an MMO. its a direct sequel to oblivion, so if it still takes place only in cyrodill ill be pissed.
Bodom
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:05 am

Bodom wrote:nah, I dont think they'll ever turn any fallout or TES games into an MMO. its a direct sequel to oblivion, so if it still takes place only in cyrodill ill be pissed.

i think there was talk about a Fallout MMORPG.
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L4MB on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:19 am

ginga-ninja wrote:i think there was talk about a Fallout MMORPG.
Talk is cheap.
L4MB
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 am

L4MB wrote:
ginga-ninja wrote:i think there was talk about a Fallout MMORPG.
Talk is cheap.

But I think some developer purshased the rights for it. Which isn't cheap.
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L4MB on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 am

Hmm. Maybe. I don't think I would play it...not much of an MMORPG kind of guy.
L4MB
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top