The Power Forums
Hello and welcome to The Power Forums! Please take this time to register or log in! See you soon!

New thoughts on PC components....

Go down

New thoughts on PC components....

Post  RZRsharpKLR on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:36 am

Still trying to figure out what would be best for a new computer I'm attempting to build. Parts >>>>>>

[] Asus - Rampage III Extreme ATX Motherboard (Up to 6Gbps, LGA-1366 Socket, 6 DDR3 DIMM, 4 PCI Express 2.0 x16)

[] Intel Core i7-950 Precessor (3.06GHz, FCLGA 1366 Socket, 8Mb Cache)

[] XFX - ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express GPU (1.6Ghz, Max-2D/3D Resolution 2560x1600, 400W Power)

[] Corsair - 4GB XMS CL-9 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory (1333MHz, 240 pin DDR3 DIMM)

[] Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive (Up to 3Gbps, 32Mb Cache Buffer, 4.2Ms Latency)

This is all just "so far" so bare with me....

RZRsharpKLR
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New thoughts on PC components....

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 am

Just get a mac troll
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile http://www.bigsausagepizza.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RZRsharpKLR on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:Just get a mac troll
I would, but McDonalds is almost 3 miles away troll
RZRsharpKLR
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L4MB on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:51 am

Hey, that's the thing that I say.
L4MB
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am

RZRsharpKLR wrote:
I would, but McDonalds is almost 3 miles away troll

But what are you gonna do with a 1/4 Pounder? troll
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:56 am

Have you checked out the new Radeon 6870 cards. Think there going for roughly about 160-190$ on newegg.
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 am

Also the Asus Crosshair IV Extreme. A little bit of info:

"Without beating around the bush, what separates the Crosshair IV Extreme apart from the pack is Asus' CrossLinx 3 technology. This allows users to mix and match multiple graphics cards from both AMD and Nvidia, including models of different GPU generations. CrossLinx 3 uses the Lucid HydraLogix engine, which bridges various graphics cards to enable their simultaneous usage."

"The HydraLogix engine accomplishes this by removing the numerous compatibility hurdles making it possible to experiment with different configurations of graphics cards for maximum performance. At least that is the theory, and today we plan to put this new technology to the test in order to see how well it fares compared to a traditional CrossFireX setup."

"The Crosshair IV Extreme implementation features a unique layout design that boasts a total of five PCI Express x16 expansion slots. Two of these provide dedicated native graphics card support for either a single GPU or CrossFire configuration. The other three are connected to the HydraLogix controller and support a mixture of graphics cards from different vendors and generations."

"It goes without saying that while the Asus Crosshair IV Extreme supports a number of new features, such as USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s, it is the CrossLinx 3 technology that has piqued our interest and everybody else's, let's not forget this motherboard was showcased back in May and it just became available for purchase late September. With that in mind, we will focus primarily on testing CrossLinx 3 to see how well it works, but you can expect us to run our typical battery of tests as well."

Source: Kotaku - Asus Crosshair IV Extreme Motherboard review: Lucid HydoLogix inside.

Full article: http://kotaku.com/5704162/asus-crosshair-iv-extreme-motherboard-review-lucid-hydralogix-inside
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RZRsharpKLR on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:44 am

Myth700 wrote:Also the Asus Crosshair IV Extreme. A little bit of info:

"Without beating around the bush, what separates the Crosshair IV Extreme apart from the pack is Asus' CrossLinx 3 technology. This allows users to mix and match multiple graphics cards from both AMD and Nvidia, including models of different GPU generations. CrossLinx 3 uses the Lucid HydraLogix engine, which bridges various graphics cards to enable their simultaneous usage."

"The HydraLogix engine accomplishes this by removing the numerous compatibility hurdles making it possible to experiment with different configurations of graphics cards for maximum performance. At least that is the theory, and today we plan to put this new technology to the test in order to see how well it fares compared to a traditional CrossFireX setup."

"The Crosshair IV Extreme implementation features a unique layout design that boasts a total of five PCI Express x16 expansion slots. Two of these provide dedicated native graphics card support for either a single GPU or CrossFire configuration. The other three are connected to the HydraLogix controller and support a mixture of graphics cards from different vendors and generations."

"It goes without saying that while the Asus Crosshair IV Extreme supports a number of new features, such as USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s, it is the CrossLinx 3 technology that has piqued our interest and everybody else's, let's not forget this motherboard was showcased back in May and it just became available for purchase late September. With that in mind, we will focus primarily on testing CrossLinx 3 to see how well it works, but you can expect us to run our typical battery of tests as well."

Source: Kotaku - Asus Crosshair IV Extreme Motherboard review: Lucid HydoLogix inside.

Full article: http://kotaku.com/5704162/asus-crosshair-iv-extreme-motherboard-review-lucid-hydralogix-inside
You seem to be as computer savvy as Wheen. I don't under 100% of everything said about computers, but I google it if I don't. I like the idea of the Crosshair IV Extreme because of the compatibility with mutilple GPU of different companies, do you think a Radeon 6870 will cope with a GTX580(<< Not sure bout the name correct if I'm wrong), because from what I've seen from those it brings the best of both world.... However the only reason I was looking into the Radeon HD-5570 was the affordabililty / performance ratio. 95% of the customers that purchased it said it was a spectacular piece of hardware and doubling it makes it even more worth while at $250.
RZRsharpKLR
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 am

I personally have not tested the motherboard or used the new cards. I have some close friends who are using the card though and I'm basing my opinion on their opinions and on what I've read basically.

The new ATI Radeon 6870 HD is supposed to be a monster card basically. I've seen them running Crossfire and seen what they can do to games like Metro 2033 and well ... it looks fantastic.

I haven't personally tested the card though so basing my opinions of what I've seen. Can't stress that enough.

Some details:
Radeon 6870 HD 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX support with Eyefinity - $250 on newegg

Now the motherboard all I know really is from what I've read from that Kotaku article so I don't have much details on specific graphics card combinations. All I could suggest really is to scour around the internet and try and find maybe some feedback from other sources.

Reading my post over I realise not a lot of useless info in this one, sorry about that.
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 am

This thread is giving me a headache.
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:10 am

ginga-ninja wrote:This thread is giving me a headache.

haha Sorry about that ..
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:11 am

Myth700 wrote:

haha Sorry about that ..

I feel the same way as ginga. But I guess 99.9999999% of the people here wouldn't really understand all the stuff I saw about firearms with buffer tubes and bolt releases and all that good stuff.
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 am

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:
Myth700 wrote:

haha Sorry about that ..

I feel the same way as ginga. But I guess 99.9999999% of the people here wouldn't really understand all the stuff I saw about firearms with buffer tubes and bolt releases and all that good stuff.

You lost me at firearms ... closest I've came to firearm was probably a brick that a threw at the cops before I had any sense....

This probably won't make sense to anyone who is not from Ireland
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:17 am

Myth700 wrote:
MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:
Myth700 wrote:

haha Sorry about that ..

You lost me at firearms ... closest I've came to firearm was probably a brick that a threw at the cops before I had any sense....

I kinda get it maybe. Are you from Northern Ireland?
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:26 am

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:
Myth700 wrote:
MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

I kinda get it maybe. Are you from Northern Ireland?

Haha yeah I'm from Derry
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hardline Pro on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 am

Myth700 wrote:Haha yeah I'm from Derry

Good thing you are not from Derry, Maine.

Unfortunately, Mac Taylor is not in this signature, so Donald Flack Jr. will be representing CSI: NY instead.

Have a question or comment? Do you need help with something? Send me a private message or ask me on Twitter!
Hardline Pro
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thepowerforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:33 am

Hardline Pro wrote:

Then like I said, I kinda understand.
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:34 am

Is that a Stephen King reference?

If it is then prop's for you.
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 am

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:
Hardline Pro wrote:

Then like I said, I kinda understand.

I shouldn't have laughed at that pic but I did.....
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hardline Pro on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:46 am

Myth700 wrote:Is that a Stephen King reference?

Yessir. Smile

Unfortunately, Mac Taylor is not in this signature, so Donald Flack Jr. will be representing CSI: NY instead.

Have a question or comment? Do you need help with something? Send me a private message or ask me on Twitter!
Hardline Pro
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thepowerforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth700 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:47 am

Hardline Pro wrote:
Myth700 wrote:Is that a Stephen King reference?

Yessir. Smile

Good stuff, love his books.
Myth700
Corporal
Corporal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheen Your Strange on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 am

RZRsharpKLR wrote:You seem to be as computer savvy as Wheen. I don't under 100% of everything said about computers, but I google it if I don't. I like the idea of the Crosshair IV Extreme because of the compatibility with mutilple GPU of different companies, do you think a Radeon 6870 will cope with a GTX580(<< Not sure bout the name correct if I'm wrong), because from what I've seen from those it brings the best of both world.... However the only reason I was looking into the Radeon HD-5570 was the affordabililty / performance ratio. 95% of the customers that purchased it said it was a spectacular piece of hardware and doubling it makes it even more worth while at $250.
The 6870 will in no way compete with the GTX 580, they're in a completely different league.

From the benches I've seen, the GTX 460 receives slightly better performance than the 6850s, and slightly worse than the 6870s, but, being the NVidia fanboy that I am, I will still recommend them troll

I'd still recommend waiting for the GTX 475 (Name is speculated), which supposedly unlocks the full potential of G104. Razz
Wheen Your Strange
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RZRsharpKLR on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:38 am

Wheen Your Strange wrote:
RZRsharpKLR wrote:You seem to be as computer savvy as Wheen. I don't under 100% of everything said about computers, but I google it if I don't. I like the idea of the Crosshair IV Extreme because of the compatibility with mutilple GPU of different companies, do you think a Radeon 6870 will cope with a GTX580(<< Not sure bout the name correct if I'm wrong), because from what I've seen from those it brings the best of both world.... However the only reason I was looking into the Radeon HD-5570 was the affordabililty / performance ratio. 95% of the customers that purchased it said it was a spectacular piece of hardware and doubling it makes it even more worth while at $250.
The 6870 will in no way compete with the GTX 580, they're in a completely different league.

From the benches I've seen, the GTX 460 receives slightly better performance than the 6850s, and slightly worse than the 6870s, but, being the NVidia fanboy that I am, I will still recommend them troll

I'd still recommend waiting for the GTX 475 (Name is speculated), which supposedly unlocks the full potential of G104. Razz
What is a G104 if may ask....?
RZRsharpKLR
Forum Police Officer
Forum Police Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down