The Power Forums
Hello and welcome to The Power Forums! Please take this time to register or log in! See you soon!

FPS as a genre: is there anywhere left for it to go?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FPS as a genre: is there anywhere left for it to go?

Post  SeanSim on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 am

Well, I have to admit, I snapped my MW2 disc in half yesterday. Kind of embarrassing, but the game just pissed me off one too many times. And it felt good at the time to just destroy it.

But, then it got me thinking. Is the FPS genre even going anywhere?

Many people have said it: "Call of Duty 4 was the last good FPS." Or something along those lines. CoD4 brought a lot of stuff to the genre and it seems that any non-Halo FPS since then has just been a CoD4 clone. I don't know how many games use the same leveling, unlocking, customization, and perk system that CoD4 made new.

I don't want to make broad generalizations. Not every game is just a "clone with tweaks." And not every clone is necessarily a bad game. This isn't what I'm getting at.

It just seems that a lot of the game designers put all of the emphasis on online multiplayer. I don't have a problem with online multiplayer. It can be a lot of fun and can keep my interest for a long time if it's done well. The real problem lies in the fact that you can't control who you play with. If you play with random people who are all tactical and everything, then the game has the potential to be fun.

But, you also have just as much of a chance to play with a bunch of douchebags. They can either try to use every exploit to give themselves an advantage, or they can simply dink around and ignore the objective of the game mode. Or any countless other possibilities.

The amount of fun you have in an online multiplayer experience is directly proportional to the type of person you get randomly matched with. And then, the game is only fun if the game designers specifically prohibit douchebag-like behavior (which is not really possible unless the game is just too prohibitive).

And it seems that every new FPS that comes out is only the previous FPS with a new gimmicky feature and improved graphics. That's it. Has anything new been added to the Call of Duty multiplayer since CoD4? Not really. A couple things like user-controller kill streaks, Riot Shield, and a couple of perk tweaks. But that's about it. Battlefield Bad Company 2 feels exactly like Battlefield 2. I don't see anything that's really been added. Halo: Reach really only added armor abilities -- which to me feel kind of gimmicky to begin with.

I don't want to feel like I'm dogging on an entire genre that I really like. And I don't want to feel that "man I got pissed at one game and now I hate everything about the genre." But you have to admit, there's not much that is new. And there is no really reason for developers to change. FPS is one of the best selling genres. And if a game company releases basically the same game every year and EVERYONE still buys it every year, why should they change?

It almost feels like the FPS genre is only one step above the Sports genre...and that makes me sad.
SeanSim
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FPS as a genre: is there anywhere left for it to go?

Post  Wheen Your Strange on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:51 am

Thats the thing.

You don't think that anything can get better, but then somebody introduces a new mechanic and its the greatest thing ever.
Wheen Your Strange
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Wheen Your Strange wrote:Thats the thing.

You don't think that anything can get better, but then somebody introduces a new mechanic and its the greatest thing ever.

But there are no new mechanics.
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 am

Well, since CoD4 was the greatest FPS of the modern generation, its easy to just copy paste the mechanics of it and people will buy it. If people stop buying it, then things will have to change. Until then, expect this:

1) Copy CoD
2) Rinse
3) Repeat
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile http://www.bigsausagepizza.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hardline Pro on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:01 am

Ever since CoD4, FPS devs have been trying to copy it, now they are trying to copy MW2, hell, look at the new MoH. I believe that the FPS genre is dying, but with no doubt, someone will make something new and it will be the "greatest thing ever."

I think the Sci-Fi FPS' still could be expanded on though, Star Wars Battlefront 3 anyone?! (And yes, I know that SWBF was a 3rd person shooter, but you could change it to 1st person.)

Oh well, anyways, I think Black Ops is a very good game, it reminds me of CoD4 and W@W, rather than MW2.

Meh.

Unfortunately, Mac Taylor is not in this signature, so Donald Flack Jr. will be representing CSI: NY instead.

Have a question or comment? Do you need help with something? Send me a private message or ask me on Twitter!
Hardline Pro
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thepowerforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 am

Hardline Pro wrote:Ever since CoD4, FPS devs have been trying to copy it, now they are trying to copy MW2, hell, look at the new MoH. I believe that the FPS genre is dying, but with no doubt, someone will make something new and it will be the "greatest thing ever."

I think the Sci-Fi FPS' still could be expanded on though, Star Wars Battlefront 3 anyone?! (And yes, I know that SWBF was a 3rd person shooter, but you could change it to 1st person.)

Oh well, anyways, I think Black Ops is a very good game, it reminds me of CoD4 and W@W, rather than MW2.

Meh.

I WANTZ SWBF3 NAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, it was a 1st and 3rd person shooter.
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stealth on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:56 am

I don't know why people hated the nuke so much in MW2 all it did was end the round.
Stealth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 am

Stealth wrote:I don't know why people hated the nuke so much in MW2 all it did was end the round.

It wasn't the nuke itself people hated, it was what people did to get the nuke. Getting rid of it was a good idea.
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 am

Stealth wrote:I don't know why people hated the nuke so much in MW2 all it did was end the round.

It let killwhores win objective based games whilst completely ignoring the objective. Also, boosters.
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonicpopcorn on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 am

I think im done with most shooters. Black ops is ok but not addicting like any other COD. Killzone3 might be good tho
Demonicpopcorn
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSim on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:19 am

Hardline Pro wrote:I think the Sci-Fi FPS' still could be expanded on though, Star Wars Battlefront 3 anyone?! (And yes, I know that SWBF was a 3rd person shooter, but you could change it to 1st person.)

That's actually a good point that I didn't consider. Sci-Fi has the potential to add new stuff to the mix that could make the genre fresh.

But most major game developers don't want to risk a big investment on a game that has potential to flop.

And most indie game developers don't have the capital to make ground-breaking innovative FPS.
SeanSim
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMonkeyChunk on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:48 am

Sci-Fi is probably the only place we can go from here. At least with Sci-Fi, there's no way you can fuck up the weapons because they're all brand new creations from the minds of developpers. TPS seem to be the future anyway. Dead Space 2 = Epic Sauce that you will beg to stick its huge 24" monster dong inside of you.
MegaMonkeyChunk
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Stealth on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:07 am

I see the CoD series heading towards a future based genre, witch is going to suck.
Stealth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodom on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Stealth wrote:I see the CoD series heading towards a future based genre, witch is going to suck.

Theres actually been rumors of Sledgehammer making a futuristic cod game, but knowing activision, they'll probably make them do another modern game.

On another note, even though its not a FPS, The Elder Scrolls: V will be coming out in a year or so Very Happy
Bodom
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSim on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 am

Bodom wrote:The Elder Scrolls: V will be coming out in a year or so Very Happy

[citation needed]
SeanSim
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top