The Power Forums
Hello and welcome to The Power Forums! Please take this time to register or log in! See you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Power Forums
Hello and welcome to The Power Forums! Please take this time to register or log in! See you soon!
The Power Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself.

+3
Adam
Unknown G3n3ral
Its_Ackbar
7 posters

Go down

Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself. Empty Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself.

Post  Its_Ackbar Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 am

Alright computer hardware junkies, I need help.

So my laptop will be out-dated (if not already) in a few years, and I can't really upgrade it much. A bigger HDD isn't smart because I have it connected to a 2TB External HDD. Since it isn't 64 bit, I can't really add memory to it, since it has 2 x 2GB sticks, and windows only takes ~3 GB.

So I'm considering building my own, with parts that I can later upgrade, should the need arise. Here's the complete list I've assembled:

--------------------------
Parts:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Silverstone 6" ATX extension cable kit Model PP04

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAZER Arctosa Black USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22NS40 - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

LOGISYS Computer MDLED1RD RED LAZER LED

---------------------------------------

These will be coming from Newegg, should I go ahead with this. I'm wanting to know if something won't be compatible with something else, or if I really need the ATX extension cable kit. Also, I can't seem to find it, but will the ASUS mobo support dual-channel memory? I know it does triple, but I don't know if it will support dual. If so, I will increase the memory to 4 GB, so that I can take advantage of 64-bit windows somewhat.

If you're wondering about speakers or a computer mouse, that's because I'm keeping my Deathadder and Logitech X540 5.1 speakers. Also, I'll be using a USB Network Adapter for connecting to the Internet.

Finally, you do guys have any recommendations for this list? I'm open to ideas, although try to keep the cost down a little.
Its_Ackbar
Its_Ackbar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself. Empty Re: Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself.

Post  Unknown G3n3ral Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:07 pm

You should ask Wheen.
Unknown G3n3ral
Unknown G3n3ral
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself. Empty Re: Will this work? Thinking about making PC for myself.

Post  Adam Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 pm

Unknown G3n3ral wrote:You should ask Wheen.
Adam
Adam
BANNED
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonicpopcorn Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:23 am

Unknown G3n3ral wrote:You should ask Wheen.
Demonicpopcorn
Demonicpopcorn
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Where is wheen?
ginga-ninja
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheen Your Strange Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm here now guys Smile

Its_Ackbar wrote:Alright computer hardware junkies, I need help.

So my laptop will be out-dated (if not already) in a few years, and I can't really upgrade it much. A bigger HDD isn't smart because I have it connected to a 2TB External HDD. Since it isn't 64 bit, I can't really add memory to it, since it has 2 x 2GB sticks, and windows only takes ~3 GB.

So I'm considering building my own, with parts that I can later upgrade, should the need arise. Here's the complete list I've assembled:

Parts:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Nice case, great cooling, it doesn't have much to dampen sound though, so it may be a little loud)

Silverstone 6" ATX extension cable kit Model PP04 You're very well prepared

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard Great motherboard, but its MicroATX, so you may not have as many static options, its got great software though

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card Good, but you usually want to try and spend a similar amount of money on your CPU and GPU, if you're gaming

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply good

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930 Good, but you may want to go with a socket 1156 CPU, since they have cheaper mobos and cheaper RAM intervals.

G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ Good, but I would suggest getting 3 x 2gb sticks, not too vital, but its good. And it'll start utilizing the 64-bit OS

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Good

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor The god of monitors. There are three of these in my household Very Happy

LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22NS40 - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM As I said above, you won't be utilizing the 64-bit when you start

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM good

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus good

LOGISYS Computer MDLED1RD RED LAZER LED I got two in my rig, beautiful. Only thing is that the velcro it comes with to mount it sucks, so you should probably try mounting with double-sided tape or something.

---------------------------------------

These will be coming from Newegg, should I go ahead with this. I'm wanting to know if something won't be compatible with something else, or if I really need the ATX extension cable kit. Also, I can't seem to find it, but will the ASUS mobo support dual-channel memory? I know it does triple, but I don't know if it will support dual. If so, I will increase the memory to 4 GB, so that I can take advantage of 64-bit windows somewhat.

If you're wondering about speakers or a computer mouse, that's because I'm keeping my Deathadder and Logitech X540 5.1 speakers. Also, I'll be using a USB Network Adapter for connecting to the Internet.

Finally, you do guys have any recommendations for this list? I'm open to ideas, although try to keep the cost down a little.

To answer you questions at the end of your message:

You don't need the extensions, but modular power supplies sometimes have trouble with short cables when using large cases. The ASUS motherboard will not support dual channel.

I'd recommend going with an LGA 1156 socket (i7 800s), this way you can use dual channel memory, and the motherboards should be cheaper. They also Turbo faster if you aren't interested in overclocking.

If you're using it for gaming, you should probably go with a little stronger graphics card. I'd recommend a GTX 460, these cards have been getting great reviews and they're relatively cheap at ~$200

Overall its a pretty good build. Hope to see you on Steam. Smile
Wheen Your Strange
Wheen Your Strange
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:53 am

The Wheen knows all.
ginga-ninja
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Siriusa Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 am

-Not necessary. I use a plain old $7 Logitech keyboard and it works perfectly fine.

Now, as far as the mobo goes, the i7 900 series uses triple channel DDR3, so you need 3 sticks of RAM. So whatever floats your boat. Right now I use an "old" i7 920 with 6GB Corsair DDR3.

As far as the video card goes, I'm an nVidia fanboy but I'd recommend the ATI as far as the "latest and greatest" goes.
Siriusa
Siriusa
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheen Your Strange Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Siriusa wrote:RAZER Arctosa Black USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard
-Not necessary. I use a plain old $7 Logitech keyboard and it works perfectly fine.

Now, as far as the mobo goes, the i7 900 series uses triple channel DDR3, so you need 3 sticks of RAM. So whatever floats your boat. Right now I use an "old" i7 920 with 6GB Corsair DDR3.

As far as the video card goes, I'm an nVidia fanboy but I'd recommend the ATI as far as the "latest and greatest" goes.

In the $200 range, the GTX 460 kicks anything ATI's ass. Honestly.
Wheen Your Strange
Wheen Your Strange
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm

test
Adam
Adam
BANNED
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheen Your Strange Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 am

Adam wrote:test

Your test failed.
Wheen Your Strange
Wheen Your Strange
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  ginga-ninja Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:35 am

Wheen Your Strange wrote:
Adam wrote:test

Your test failed.

Indeed.
ginga-ninja
ginga-ninja
Community VIP
Community VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down